⚽ Latest news, previews and updates before the weekend
⚽ 10 things to look out for | And email John
The Manchester United head coach Marc Skinner says it is “great news” that the Football Association have put the brakes on plans to make radical changes to the Women’s FA Cup such as seeding the top teams, and he feels big teams going head-to-head in earlier rounds is good for the cup.
Skinner’s side travel to face the holders Chelsea in the fifth round on Sunday, a repeat of last year’s final. It is a tie that would not have been possible under the proposals that were initiially put forward by the FA earlier in February, which could have seen the WSL’s top four sides separated until the semi-final stage from next season if the changes had gone on to be approved at FA board level. But the Guardian revealed on Thursday that, after receiving negative feedback on the plans, the FA have decided to extend the consultation period and there will be no changes to the format for next season.
“Great news, great news,” Skinner said, when asked for his reaction to that idea being put on hold. “We play one of the best teams in English history on Sunday in an early round, but that’s the draw, that’s the beauty of the game. I watch competitions because there’s an element of luck. For us to play Chelsea is rough luck but it’s part of the game and it allows the beauty of the cup.”
An FA spokesperson told the Guardian: “While we will continue to review the Adobe Women’s FA Cup and the ways it can evolve, we have listened to the feedback and no changes will be implemented for the 2026-27 season.
“We understand how much the competition means to clubs, players and fans across the pyramid, and it is important that all parties have enough time to share their views. As a result, we will be extending the consultation phase to allow for further engagement informed by the questions and comments raised.”
Arsenal’s collywobbles could get yet worse if Manchester City win at Newcastle on Saturday evening. Newcastle’s manager Eddie Howe has been speaking to the press this morning. Anthony Gordon got four goals against Qarabag on Wednesday: “Every player has a preference on positions. He’d probably prefer to play down the middle and lead the line because you have much more freedom.
Continue reading…⚽ Latest news, previews and updates before the weekend⚽ 10 things to look out for | And email JohnThe Manchester United head coach Marc Skinner says it is “great news” that the Football Association have put the brakes on plans to make radical changes to the Women’s FA Cup such as seeding the top teams, and he feels big teams going head-to-head in earlier rounds is good for the cup.
Skinner’s side travel to face the holders Chelsea in the fifth round on Sunday, a repeat of last year’s final. It is a tie that would not have been possible under the proposals that were initiially put forward by the FA earlier in February, which could have seen the WSL’s top four sides separated until the semi-final stage from next season if the changes had gone on to be approved at FA board level. But the Guardian revealed on Thursday that, after receiving negative feedback on the plans, the FA have decided to extend the consultation period and there will be no changes to the format for next season.
“Great news, great news,” Skinner said, when asked for his reaction to that idea being put on hold. “We play one of the best teams in English history on Sunday in an early round, but that’s the draw, that’s the beauty of the game. I watch competitions because there’s an element of luck. For us to play Chelsea is rough luck but it’s part of the game and it allows the beauty of the cup.”
An FA spokesperson told the Guardian: “While we will continue to review the Adobe Women’s FA Cup and the ways it can evolve, we have listened to the feedback and no changes will be implemented for the 2026-27 season.
“We understand how much the competition means to clubs, players and fans across the pyramid, and it is important that all parties have enough time to share their views. As a result, we will be extending the consultation phase to allow for further engagement informed by the questions and comments raised.”Arsenal’s collywobbles could get yet worse if Manchester City win at Newcastle on Saturday evening. Newcastle’s manager Eddie Howe has been speaking to the press this morning. Anthony Gordon got four goals against Qarabag on Wednesday: “Every player has a preference on positions. He’d probably prefer to play down the middle and lead the line because you have much more freedom. Continue reading…
