By Zoila Palma: The World Health Organization (WHO) says a 12th case of hantavirus has been detected in the Netherlands involving a Dutch crew member from the MV Hondius cruise ship, which remains at the centre of an international outbreak investigation.
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus urged countries to continue monitoring passengers who had been on board the vessel and to “move carefully for the remainder of the quarantine period.”
Tedros confirmed the infected crew member had tested positive and was now in isolation. The latest case brings the total number of confirmed infections worldwide to 12. According to the WHO, three people have died from the virus, though no additional deaths have been reported since May 2, when the outbreak was first reported.
Dutch health authorities said the infected crew member had been admitted to hospital as a precaution. The Dutch National Institute for Public Health and the Environment stated that the patient had been isolating at home before the positive result was confirmed by two separate laboratories. Authorities added that everyone evacuated from the Dutch-flagged ship to the Netherlands is undergoing weekly testing and that the risk of further spread in the country remains very small.
The WHO said more than 600 contacts across 30 countries are still being monitored, while investigators continue trying to determine how the virus first appeared on board the ship.
The post International News: World Health Organization reports 12th Hantavirus case linked to Cruise Ship outbreak appeared first on Belize News and Opinion on www.breakingbelizenews.com.
By Zoila Palma: The World Health Organization (WHO) says a 12th case of hantavirus has been detected in the Netherlands involving a Dutch crew member from the MV Hondius cruise ship, which remains at the centre of an international outbreak investigation. WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus urged countries to continue monitoring passengers who had been
The post International News: World Health Organization reports 12th Hantavirus case linked to Cruise Ship outbreak appeared first on Belize News and Opinion on www.breakingbelizenews.com.