By Zoila Palma: The Vatican has confirmed it will not participate in U.S. President Donald Trump’s proposed “Board of Peace,” with the Holy See’s top diplomat emphasizing that global crises should remain under the purview of the United Nations.
The initiative, to be chaired indefinitely by Trump, was initially conceived to oversee Gaza’s reconstruction but has since expanded into a broader global peacekeeping body.
Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the Holy See Secretary of State, told reporters Tuesday that the Vatican would decline the invitation extended last month to Pope Leo XIV.
Parolin said Vatican officials were left “perplexed” by aspects of the proposal and noted that “critical issues” remained unresolved.
While Italy and the European Union plan to attend the board as observers, Parolin said the Vatican would not take part because of the body’s “particular nature,” which differs from that of sovereign states.
Britain, France and Norway have also declined to join.
Diplomats and world leaders have raised concerns about the board’s expanded mandate, Trump’s indefinite chairmanship, and the possible impact on the UN’s role.
Pope Leo XIV, the first U.S.-born pontiff, has made peacemaking central to his papacy, repeatedly warning that “war is back in vogue.”
The post International News: Vatican declines to join President Trump’s proposed ‘Board of Peace’ appeared first on Belize News and Opinion on www.breakingbelizenews.com.
By Zoila Palma: The Vatican has confirmed it will not participate in U.S. President Donald Trump’s proposed “Board of Peace,” with the Holy See’s top diplomat emphasizing that global crises should remain under the purview of the United Nations. The initiative, to be chaired indefinitely by Trump, was initially conceived to oversee Gaza’s reconstruction but
The post International News: Vatican declines to join President Trump’s proposed ‘Board of Peace’ appeared first on Belize News and Opinion on www.breakingbelizenews.com.



